...


My purpose in this blog is not to detail my life, which I think most of the time is not particularly interesting, but more so to share, wonder and write. I hope that God gets way more glory through this than I do. And I hope that you, reader, if you ever do exist, will take what I have to say on the days I decide to add to this and question things in your life and maybe go write about them too. Or talk about them. Or at least think about them. But keep questioning. I think that's what God's been teaching me. Keep questioning, and go to Him for the answers. I'd love for yall to post comments if you have any!

Thursday, July 1, 2010

"I will live by my pen"

Last night I watched the movie "Becoming Jane". Good movie for those of you who haven't seen it. I love the character of Jane Austen in the movie. She is funny, bright, outspoken, determined, and incredibly idealistic. Not trying to ruin the movie, but let's just say that she gives up a lot to live for her lofty ideals.

It got me thinking about ideals and expectations in my own life. I would say that I'm an idealist...in all different senses of the word. I have high expectations for myself, for my life and for the people around me. I think that's why I like to write. I can create a world that is perfect in my head and put it on paper. My favorite line from the movie is this: Jane is talking to an author, Mrs.Radcliffe, about writing:

Mrs. Radcliffe: Of what do you wish to write?
Jane Austen: Of the heart.
Mrs. Radcliffe: Do you know it?
Jane Austen: Not all of it.
Mrs. Radcliffe: In time, you will. But even if that fails, that's what the imagination is for.

Imagination...it transcends this imperfect world, allows us to go beyond even the greatest things the heart can fathom. Takes us to a perfect world unlike our own. Allows our ideals to be more than simply ideals: to be reality.

So, are these ideals attainable? Is it better to settle for what's in front of you or wait for the possibility of the ideal? I asked my good friend Maria this this morning and this was her response: It depends. For things that are eternally important, like ethics and morals, you should never settle. But for things of this world-relationships, or a job-sometimes you just have to realize that it will never be perfect.


Life is just life. People are people. Our world is not perfect.

But God created all of the above and I have been blessed to see Him through so many aspects of life and through so many people. He also created imagination. Maybe to allow us to think past this imperfect world, to heaven and to a more perfect understanding of himself. I am very thankful for that.

I think I'm learning more about living in this real, hard, imperfect world. I mean, I am not one to complain...I have been incredibly blessed. But the world is not as it was originally created to be.

Thankfully, the One who made it is unchanging.

So I think for now I will at times choose to "live by my pen" as Jane puts it, at times allow myself to imagine and wonder and write about things that could be, the "what-if's" of life...

But I will be aware of what's in front of me. Of the grace, love and people that God gives me daily. I will admit that I am not perfect just as our world is not. And I will enjoy the pieces of heaven that He gives us here on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment